Date:      Thu, 23 Jan 1997 01:21:05 -0800 (PST)
From:      Michael Dillon <michael@memra.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 56K vs X2?

On Thu, 23 Jan 1997, Leonard Chua wrote:

> Also, I'm probably wrong, but I recall hearing somewhere that there's
> 56K/X2 server and 56K/X2 client modems. Meaning that even the modem
> vendor says a particular modem is upgradeable to 56K/X2, it may not
> neccessarily work as a dialin 56K/X2 modem.

Whether you are talking about X2 or K56plus flavors of 56K modem they
come in two types, one for the server end that answers calls and one for
the client end to originate calls. You cannot hook two client 56K modems
together and get anything faster than v.34+ out of them.

In fact, in some recent field trials USR had difficulty getting
faster than 53K out of their X2 modems.

This is not a silver bullet technology. This is living on the bleeding
edge; that's the thin edge of the razor's wedge. Everything has to be
perfect or it just won't work.

Memra Software Inc.              -                  Fax: +1-250-546-3049
http://www.memra.com             -               E-mail: michael@memra.com