Date:      Tue, 23 Apr 2002 00:11:02 -0700
From:      "Bryan K. Ogawa" <bko@idiom.com>
To:        "Richard Shea" <richardshea@fastmail.fm>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /usr/X11R6 and /usr/src - can i get rid of them ?

In localhost.freebsd.questions, you wrote:
> Hi - I've got machine running FreeBSD 3.4 which does not run X. I would
> like free up some disk space. When I look around for things to throw I
> found /usr/X11R6 and /usr/src both of which seem to be relatively
> large.
>
> Given that I never use X can I just delete /usr/X11R6 ?.

In general, this would probably work, BUT you would need to make sure
that none of your programs have an optional X interface (examples
include emacs and xemacs).  If they do, they might be linked against
libraries in the X directory.  If I were doing it, it would at least
move it out of the way and see if it broke anything first, and
possibly choose to only delete binaries that i'm sure I wouldn't use
from /usr/X11R6/bin .

> Similarly I think /usr/src is the source for large parts of the system.
> In the past I have recompiled the kernel I presume if I got rid of this
> I would not be able to do this in the future ? Or is it not kernel
> source ?

This is the kernel source (as well as the OS source).  /usr/src/sys is
your kernel sources -- I believe that you can delete all of the other
directories as long as you keep all of /usr/src/sys and still
recompile the kernel.

As with /usr/X11R6, I'd recommend moving things out of the way and
testing to make sure you don't break anything.

--
bryan k ogawa  <bko@idiom.com>   http://www.idiom.com/~bko/