Date:      Sun, 23 Jan 2000 17:17:41 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Please help spread the CVSup mirror load more evenly

Before I forget: PLEASE DON'T CC ME ON YOUR REPLIES.  I'LL READ THEM
IN THE MAILING LIST.  THANK YOU.

> > Hmmm.  A thought just occurred to me.  There's no need to measure
> > these things.  Lookup all the IP addresses.  Do a non blocking
> > connection to each of these machines.  First one to come back with the
> > REL16_1 response wins, and all the others get closed and you use that
> > one.
>
> I like this idea, except that some sort of consistency is required -
> ie, once I've started using cvsupX, I'd like to use it in preference
> to slightly better machines unless it stays bad for some configurable
> number of connections....

Um, guys ... hello?  The goal here is to spread the load more evenly.
Now it's true that if every CVSup run hits every mirror site that the
load will be even.  But it will also be a whole helluva lot higher
than it is even now.  So no, I'm not going to implement any solution
that involves pinging or connecting to a bunch of sites every time
you start up CVSup.

Please, no more pie in the sky ideas.  My announcement was simply
trying to address a trivial problem for today, namely that too many
people are failing to use their brains when filling in that host field
in their supfiles.  That's all.  These fancy solutions are just dandy
except they don't solve the problem today and most of them are so
complicated that they're extremely unlikely to get implemented (at
least by me) any time soon.

John