Date:      Mon, 17 May 1999 10:57:37 -0500
From:      "Inksetter, Derek" <Derek.Inksetter@mchugh.com>
To:        "'Alfred Perlstein'" <bright@rush.net>
Cc:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "'stable@freebsd.org'" <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Problem burning on HP CD-R (stable)

> On Mon, 17 May 1999, Inksetter, Derek wrote:
>
> > I'm running 3.1-STABLE (actually, it looks like it's up to 3.2-BETA
> > now), and have an HP 6020 CD-R burner attached to an Adaptec 2940U.
> > I've used this machine (running various incarnations of -STABLE) to
> > burn CDs for more than a year with no trouble.
>
> You may want to check for a firmware update for your drive on HP's
> site.  Some burners will not burn more cdroms until you software
> eject the cd.
>
> hope this helps...
>
> cdrecord also has some specific notes about the philips cd-writers,
> you should review them.

Hmm...I've been using cdrecord on 2.2.x for some time with no trouble.
It's just since the upgrade to 3.[12] that things have been failing.
There don't appear to be any firmware updates on HPs site, and the
cdrecord page doesn't mention any specific issues with this drive.

I'll try the software eject trick and see if that helps.

If anyone else is having consistent success with this drive,
specifically writing multiple disks without mounting anything between
writes, please let me know.

Derek