Date:      Wed, 26 Jul 2000 15:17:12 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.osd.bsdi.com>
To:        kstewart@urx.com
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: README.TXT and RELNOTES.TXT not updated before release tag?

> It was a generic one. We now have new binary libraries and it would
> seem that some ports could be affected by the change from 4.0 to 4.1.
> There were some drastic changes to the binutils and etc.

There's no generic answer to your generic question. :-)

The answer, of course, is "it depends."  With over 3600 ports, it's
simply not possible to enumerate the list of potentially affected
ports.  Simply proceed forward cautiously using your best judgement as
to when and how you upgrade a 3rd-party component.

- Jordan