Date:      Wed, 29 Dec 1999 14:21:09 -0500
From:      "Troy Settle" <st@i-plus.net>
To:        "FreeBSD ISP" <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Changing Passwords for Users using http: port 80

Would be best to do it with https, but if you look at the internet as a
whole, it really doesn't seem to make a difference any more.  On most
systems (mine at least), a comprimised user password isn't a big deal,
except for that one user.  Hopefully, people will be smart enough not to
change their root password using a web page :)

Passwords are transmitted in the clear between users and their ISP all the
time:

 - Users who check their mail from other,
   including whole sale pops
 - users who telnet into shell servers
 - ftp

Could probably name a few others, but hey...

-Troy