Date:      Wed, 19 Feb 1997 10:30:57 -0500 (EST)
From:      Ron Bickers <rbickers@intercenter.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Apache Virtual Servers (single IP)

On Tue, 18 Feb 1997, Michael Dillon wrote:

> Right now the host header is only useful on an intranet. Eventually it
> will become useful on the global public Internet but it will take time
> for everybody to upgrade their browser. At least two years, maybe three.
> As an ISP who is being paid to deliver access to as close to 100% of the
> global Internet as possible, you cannot arbitrarily decide to cut off
> 25% or 10% or even 5% of your customer website's audience.

So why do so many sites use html and other web features that these 25%,
10% or 5% of customers can't view anyway?  They may be better off not
being able to view a site than viewing it and not know what it is they're
looking at.  I know, I know....that's not necessarily true, but you see
what I'm saying.  People are already needing to upgrade to make a large
number of sites useful.

> > Probably true.  I don't really disagree with your points, however, *if*
> > Internic (or whomever had the power) said you can't have anymore IP
> > addrseses, the world would have no choice but to be ready.
>
> The Internic isn't saying this nor is RIPE nor APNIC. If anyone does
> encounter this from one of the NIC's, tell me about it and I will help you
> work out the problem which will probably be due to some NIC employee
> misunderstanding the current policies.

That was *if*.  I suppose "*if* there were no more addresses" would have
been a better phrase.  Course, we'd have bigger problems than virtual
websites if that ever happened.