Date:      Tue, 18 May 1999 02:13:57 +0900
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, Juriy Goloveshkin <j@avias.com>, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: keyboard problem in STABLE

>>    I have 3.2-BETA.
>>    If I press keys while system is loading(before prompt occurrence) I
>>    get broken keyboard. Any keys and their combinations don`t work
>>    include Ctrl-Alt-Del. Only "reset" does. :(
>
>I've seen this if you hit a key at just the "wrong" moment.  I haven't
>been able to establish exactly which is the "wrong" moment though.
>
>It looks like the keyboard controller becomes confused or otherwise
>unhappy; I've no idea why.  You should talk to Kazu
>(yokota@freebsd.org) if you want to help debugging this.

Yes, the keyboard and the keyboard controller and their drivers may be
confused if a key data is stuck in the buffer at certain moment.  The
keyboard driver tries to flush data queue before initialized the
keyboard in order to avoid this.  But, apparently it is failing to do so
for you.

If this happens now, it must have happned before as well...

I will see how we can catch and fix this.

In the meantime, please do not hold down a key for too long while the
system is starting up :-)

Kazu

PS: it this machine, by any chance, based on MediaGX CPU?