Date:      Mon, 02 Feb 1998 18:10:13 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Donn Miller <dmm125@bellatlantic.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: netscape/swap_pager causing problems with syscons

> This problem was alluded to before.  When running X windows, say you start
> netscape.  Then you run out of swap space.  What happens next is that X
> windows lock the computer solid, or X windows crashes, leaving me with a
> blank screen.  None of the virtual terminals work then, but I know the
> system is still running, because ctrl+alt+delete reboots (shuts down) the
> system.  But I still see nothing on the screen.
>
> Jordan hinted to this as a problem with syscons in one posting I saw.  I

Nope, it's not a "problem" with syscons - it's just what happens when
an X server is rudely shot down and has no chance to clean up.  And
I'm sure that Terry will have some suggestion about how state changes
should be pushed and restored in syscons but it's unlikely that this
will every happen unless somebody actually figures out how to
implement it and has the free time to do the work involved.  Don't
hold your breath though and allocate more swap space instead. ;-)

					Jordan