Date:      Tue, 28 Apr 1998 17:27:22 +0800
From:      Stephen Hocking-Senior Programmer PGS Tensor Perth <shocking@prth.pgs.com>
To:        Chris Brunner <cjb@efn.org>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD support now in Descent.

> Does the FreeBSD version require the registered versions of the datafiles?
> I know that there are shareware versions of both Descent and Descent II
> out there which contain only the first few levels, but could be used for a
> demo package.
> I have both Descent (full version) and the demo of Descent II (came with
> my graphics adapter) so I'll give them a shot to see what works.

It does require the registered version of descent I. There's been some talk on the list of getting it to work with the shareware version, but no action yet as people are still beating on other issues. I'm banging my head against the quirks & foibles of our ancient version of gas. I'm busting for an updated version of binutils - roll on the ELF stuff which make all this a bunch easier to keep up to date. Do any of the other *BSDs still use a.out?

	Stephen