Date:      Sun, 14 Jul 2002 14:54:30 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        cyrille.lefevre@laposte.net
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports/39606: Updated port: audio/lame (3.92)

On 14 Jul, Cyrille Lefevre wrote:

>> Do we really need vorbis support in LAME? The support was intended to
>> have a command line utility at a time where vorbis hadn't a good command
>> line utility.
>
> don't know, but since the code may support it, I left the choice
> to users.  in other words, I hate incomplete ports... but, if you
> want to get rid of vorbis support, no problem.

I think we should at least make it off by default...

>> It doesn't neet gmake.
>
> as a general rule, I always add USE_GMAKE in conjunction of
> GNU_CONFIGURE because, sometimes, not everything is build
> w/ a legacy make. I already got this issue w/ some ports
> (don't remember they names), so, I prefer to prevent this
> as a side rule.

The actual automake does a good job in this case. I only had once
problems without gmake. I can assure you that LAME builds with our make
successfully (I'm responsible for the auto* stuff in LAME).

>> We don't need the .la file.
>
> well, I'm just doing what's other ports do.

Only ports which depend on the new libtool do this. We try to not
install the .la files.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
            0 and 1. Now what could be so hard about that?