Date:      Mon, 14 Jul 1997 23:02:57 -0500
From:      dkelly@hiwaay.net
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: what magazines do you read?

> > Byte went irrevokably downhill when Jerry Pournelle became their
> > apostle of technology review.
>
> Boy, got THAT right.  It's tough being a science fiction fan in a
> town full of Pournelle-worshippers.  It's kept me out of organized
> fandom for 20 years.

Byte's last straw for me was a last page editorial instructing us of the
evils of investing in RISC based computers, that CISC would never be
abandonded and will protect your software investment.

Reflecting back, I guess he was right. But all the reasons were wrong and
two or more wrongs don't make a right. (But 3 lefts will.)

Several years later Dr. Dobbs was doing this wonderful series on something
called "386BSD", so for a while I subscribed to another computer magazine.

Thru it all, I've still maintained my subscriptions to MacUser and MacWeek.
Sometimes borrow an issue of PCWeek.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net