Date:      Wed, 24 Nov 1999 16:53:25 -0000
From:      "Nicholas J. Dear" <ndear@areti.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Network Questions

On 24 Nov 99, at 8:03, John A. Hengstler wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I have been noticing this message in /var/log/messages for some time, and
> have still not figured out why it is popping up, or how to get rid of the
> message:
>
> > arplookup 209.222.163.141 failed: host is not on local network
> > arpresolve: can't allocate llinfo for 209.222.163.141
>
> The address in questions, is on a dial up port assigned to a Portmaster 2e.
> (Yes each of the address in the pool shows up in these messages as well) .
>
> Any suggestions on how to correct this and/or remove these messages from the message log.

This may be wrong, but the answer I was given some months ago (many months
ago), is that if your gate way is 194.207.26.1 for example, but you have an IP
bound that is not part of that same block (194.207.188.100 eg) you get that
message.  You can comment it out of the kernel code IIRC - but I didn't bother, it
doesn't affect anything, it just looks messy.

N.
Nicholas J. Dear
Mail: ndear@areti.net Tel: +44 (0)20-8402-4041
Areti Internet Ltd., http://www.areti.co.uk/