Date:      Thu, 16 Sep 2004 10:37:52 -0500
From:      jcaldwell@ymcastlouis.org
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   IBM xSeries 225 with single processor - can't boot 5.x?

I've got a number of IBM xSeries x225 servers, which are dual-capable but
right now have only one Xeon processor each. Attempting to boot from the
install CD for both 5.2.1 and 5.3-BETA3 yields the same problem - endless
streams of what look like register states, seperated by single characters
of the '/|\-' sequence. Doesn't even get past the boot loader.

Any thoughts on this? I'm in the process of switching all of my i386
NetBSD and Novell servers over to FreeBSD (faster release cycle, so better
new hardware support), so I'm not familair with the subtle nuances of
FreeBSD yet, but I do have it working on about 4 other machines - 3
single-processor machines and one dual-processor with both CPUs in place.
I'm wondering if the problem might have something to do with that empty
processor socket, or the fact that it's a Xeon.

-Jim