Date:      Tue, 21 Jan 2003 01:51:37 -0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        Jesper Skriver <jesper@skriver.dk>
Cc:        re@FreeBSD.org, hubs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 5.0-RELEASE bits for i386, pc98, sparc64, and alpha are up

Jesper Skriver wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 08:49:54PM -0800, Murray Stokely wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 08:45:38PM -0800, Bruce A. Mah wrote:
> > > We definitely need to clean up the old versions on ftp-master. There's
> > > considerable discussion of this among the developers, but I'm not sure
> > > who exactly is in charge of this.  (It sure isn't me!)
> >
> > David, Scott, and I have removed some old versions over the last 48
> > hours.  We need to remove some more.  Please email re@ or portmgr@
> > (for package dirs) directly with the bits you think should be removed.
> > That is the most efficient way to reach us.
>
> Remove pub/FreeBSD/branches/ and pub/FreeBSD/development/FreeBSD-CVS/
>
> These have been removed at ftp.FreeBSD.org to keep the people mirroring
> from it via ftp under control ...

I'm in for removing them.  It adds a sh!tload of pathnames and directories
for mirroring, and I'm pretty sure it accounts for a huge chunk of memory
and protocol traffic in rsyncd and cvsupd.  At one point they were
essential due to the limited availability of things like cvsup etc.
Now all this stuff can be fetched via other widely available means,
including cvsweb etc so I'm not sure that its quite so essential these
days.

Also, the mail archives are in there too.
See pub/FreeBSD/doc/mailing-lists

FWIW, here's the list of stuff that ftp-master inherited from the wcarchive:

cd /archive/pub/FreeBSD/development/FreeBSD-CVS
cvsup -r 2 -g -L 2 supfile.cvsup.src
cvsup -r 2 -g -L 2 supfile.cvsup.ports

cd /archive/pub/FreeBSD/branches/-current
cvsup -r 2 -g -L 2 supfile.cvsup.src
cvsup -r 2 -g -L 2 supfile.cvsup.ports
cvsup -r 2 -g -L 2 supfile.cvsup.doc
cvsup -r 2 -g -L 2 supfile.cvsup.www
tar zcf /archive/tmp/ports.tar.gz ports
mv /archive/tmp/ports.tar.gz .

cd /archive/pub/FreeBSD/branches/4.0-stable
cvsup -r 2 -g -L 2 supfile.cvsup

cd /archive/pub/FreeBSD/branches/3.0-stable
cvsup -r 2 -g -L 2 supfile.cvsup

cd /archive/pub/FreeBSD/branches/2.2-stable
cvsup -r 2 -g -L 2 supfile.cvsup

cd /archive/pub/FreeBSD/doc/mailing-lists
cvsup -r 2 -g -L 2 supfile.cvsup

Cheers,
-Peter