Date:      Mon, 26 Aug 1996 13:49:34 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        michaelv@MindBender.serv.net (Michael L. VanLoon)
Cc:        jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com, michael@memra.com, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org, craigs@os.com
Subject:   Re: Anyone using ccd (FreeBSD disk striper) for news

> >But async mode will not buy you much in this case...!  Async is simply
> >delaying the inevitable, which is already delayed in FreeBSD until the next
> >30-second sync.  I do not want to write metadata at _all_ if all it is is
> >an ATIME update...  if I have to write it, now OR later, I am losing
> >bandwidth and transactions per second that I would rather spend reading
> >other data.
>
> Not completely.  What if the data that is being postponed changes two
> or three times while it's in the cache.  When it finally gets written,
> you just wrote once what would have been written two or three more
> times.

First thing, on a news server, it ain't terribly likely to happen.

Second thing, that already happens, because FreeBSD only flushes once every
thirty seconds.  inode updates are already async.

What I want is a solution which postpones the writes until hell freezes
over.  Or, better yet, doesn't do them at all.

... JG