Date:      Tue, 17 Mar 1998 02:31:36 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        ljo@mcs.net (Lars Jonas Olsson)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, ljo@mcs.net
Subject:   Re: Working, multi-threaded LDAP(slapd)?

>  I've been trying to use slapd (stand-alone LDAP daemon) from
> ports/net/ldap on FreeBSD current. It goes into a loop (there is a PR
> about this). It also seems that there is no multi-threading support
> enabled in the port.
>  As there has been substantial discussion here about using LDAP for
> administration does anyone have a working version?

The FreeBSD LDAP port is unusably broken.  Instead, you should use:

http://www.freebsd.org/~terry/DIFF.LDAP.txt
http://www.freebsd.org/~terry/DIFF.LDAP.gz

They require that you are running -current or -stable with the recent
pthreads changes by Jeremy Allison and myself (checked in by Julian
Elisher in both trees).  If using -stable, this means -stable *after*
the last release (ie: the fixes are not yet on a CDROM).

You must apply these patches to the code from the University of
Michigan code, which should be unmodified (ie: do *not* use the
FreeBSD port).

If you want SSL support, you must seperately apply the SSL patch
from www.critical-angle.com; all the other patches from there are
included in my patch (basically, they were like 386BSD patches:
conflicts, no organization, no dependency ordering, etc.).

>  I was planning to use slapd with imapd and ipopd as mail server for
> netscape, eudora, and outlook express clients. Has anyone used slapd
> as directory server for email clients? Seems like a good topic for a
> section/article in handbook or newsletter.

I have used it for the Windows clients.  The Macintosh clients tend
to fail because they incorrectly set their base location.  This is
a well known problem with almost all Macintosh LDAP clients.  The
only real fix is to install a PC.  ;^).  (There... that ought to
tweak the weenies into fixing their clients to conform to standards).

Someone with commit privs needs to compile this code and make it a
package...

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---