Date:      Fri, 23 May 1997 13:28:28 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        stefan.veith@mail.online-club.de (New User)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.com
Subject:   Re: "System full"? / Linux emulation

In a previous message, New User said:
> -- [ From: New User * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --
>
> 1. Question:
> I tried to compile a new kernel with my personal configuration (ISDN, no
> SCSI, etc) but whenever I type "make" it says after some minutes of
> compiation: "System full [...]". Where is my problem? I use a 1-GB-HDD;
> typing "df" I learn that about 60% of /var and /usr are in use (/proc=100%).
> Do I have too little memory (12K) or a too slow processor (486/DX-40)? [I
> think that this could *not* be the reason.]

I assume that's 12M of memory. /proc will always be 100%.
I'm not sure what this could be. System full isn't a normal
FS error. Can you send the actual output of the build?
How much swap to you have, maybe you're running out of main
memory/swap.

> 2. Question:
> I tried to run Liunx programmes; before I did so, I changed in
> /etc/sysconfig LINUX="NO" to "YES". But having restarted my computer none of
> them ran. I use the 2.2.1-stable release of FreeBSD and did evereything the
> handbook says. Where is the error? And one more question: Do Linux
> programmes run slower on FreeBSD than under their native platform? I mean:
> is this emulation robbing system resources and computing time?

Did you install the linux libraries? (linux-lib package) try running
/compat/linux/usr/sbin/ldd on the linux programs your trying to run.
It will tell you if any libraries are missing. What programs are you
trying to run? I have doom, acroread and Star Office running fine
under linux.

--
Herbivores ate well cause their food didn't ever run. --Jonathan Fishman