Date:      Sun, 30 Jun 1996 17:11:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Kenneth Merry <ken@ulc199.residence.gatech.edu>
To:        taob@io.org (Brian Tao)
Cc:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I need help on this one - please help me track this guy down!

> On Sun, 23 Jun 1996, Terry Lambert wrote:
> >
> > 9)	Make sure you aren't running routed -q.
>
>     Why not?

	It depends on what your network setup looks like.  If you control
all the machines on your subnet, there's no problem with running routed -q.
If you don't control all the machines on your subnet, it can be very
dangerous, since it will believe anyone who claims to be the default
router.
	I ran into that once when I put my machine on the dorm network here
at GT.  A couple of guys with Linux boxes were running routed -g -s, and so
all of my outbound packets wound up going to their machines.   It turned
out that whatever distribution of Linux they had (old version of slackware,
perhaps?) enabled those options on routed by default.  (They were pretty
clueless, and it didn't appear to be a malicious thing.)
	Since then, I've always made a point of disabling routed, and
hard-coding default routes, so I don't get any nasty surprises.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@ulc199.residence.gatech.edu