Date:      Tue, 29 Jun 1999 19:58:22 PDT
From:      Unix Guru <unixguru68@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        brian@Awful-hak.org, tony-o@iij.ud.jp, amurai@spec.co.jp
Subject:   /kernel: pid 79 (ppp), uid 0: exited on signal 10

Hi,
I'm tring to setup an old 486 with only 8M of RAM to run as
an internet gatway on my home network using dialup ppp with
it's -alias option. I have IP forwarding and IPDIVET and etc.
compiled into the kernel and PPP from the gateway machine work
fine.
However, when I attempt to create and IP connection from
another machine on the network, the following message it
dumped into ppp.log and ppp dies:

Jun 29 18:59:26 myhost /kernel: pid 79 (ppp), uid 0: exited on signal 10

Signal 10 is SIGBUS, which makes me think its some kind of memory
allocation problem - only 8M is pretty small by todays standards.

The only thing out of the ordinary in the messages log file are
some messages like:

Jun 29 19:31:43 myhost ppp[80]: tun0: Phase: HDLC errors -> FCS: 2 ADDR: 0
COMD: 0 PROTO: 0

which might not be related.

If I take the -alias option off ppp then there is not problen;
of course IP masqurading doesn't work either.

Can anyone tell me if this is probably just a memory allocation
problem or is there someting obvious that I have missed?

Thanks