Date:      Tue, 26 Jun 2001 08:28:34 -0700
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: US checking accounts for non-US residents

--tsOsTdHNUZQcU9Ye

On Tue, Jun 26, 2001 at 07:33:58AM -0400, Greg Lehey wrote:
> > From what I can tell, you need a SSN in order to open an account.
>=20
> They were a bit confused that I didn't have one, but they got over
> it.  I've had the account for 8 years now, and they won't give me a
> credit card because of the lacking SSN, but apart from that it works
> fine.

You may have to try more then one bank.  While non-intrest bearing
accounts don't need a SSN for reporting, they do use them for a "cross
check" system which is supposed to catch things like people who notice
massive bank error in their favor, with draw all the money from their
account, and deposit it in another bank.

-- Brooks

--=20

--tsOsTdHNUZQcU9Ye

--tsOsTdHNUZQcU9Ye--