Date:      Sat, 1 Jul 2000 22:06:12 +0200
From:      "Karel J. Bosschaart" <karelj@wop21.wop.wtb.tue.nl>
To:        Nils Holland <nils@nightcastleproductions.org>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NE2000 problem with new kernel

On Sat, Jul 01, 2000 at 01:40:26PM +0200, Nils Holland wrote:
> Hi folks,
> I just compiled and installed the latest 4.0-STABLE sources on some of my
> machines. Everything worked fine, except for one thing:
>
> On some older machine I have a NE2000 network card installed. I'm talking
> about the original ISA-thing from Novell. This card has always been
> working fine with the following line in the kernel configuration file:
>
> device ed0 	at isa? port 0x300 irq 9 iomem 0xd8000
>
> In a new kernel I compiled (using sources I cvsupped yesterday) this line
> does not seem to work. The kernel compiles fine, but when trying to boot
> it it hangs at the point where it should recognize the network card.
>
> I tried several things, for instance re-jumpering my card in order to use
> different IRQs and ports, but it didn't work. Looking at the LINT file I
> saw that nothing has changed with the way of configuring my card. Also the
> UPDATING file in /usr/src didn't say anything useful.
>
> I'd be glad if somebody could suggest a solution. I don't expect the
> FreeBSD source code to be broken, but since I don't see something has gone
> wrong on my side either, I suppose that something is just not working the
> way it should. So any suggestions are welcome...

I had the same problem, it turned out to be caused by the latest change (06/17)
in sys/dev/ed/if_ed.c. As a quick workaround, you can replace this file by an
older version and recompile your kernel. The committer of the latest change
(Paul Saab) has sent me patches which make my NE2000 work again. I suppose
these will be merged in the source tree eventually.

Karel.