Date:      Mon, 15 Jul 2002 11:23:42 +0200
From:      Andy Sporner <sporner@nentec.de>
To:        Clifton Royston <cliftonr@lava.net>
Cc:        aaron g <click46@operamail.com>, freebsd-cluster@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SPREAD clusters

Hi,

Clifton Royston wrote:

>>the last 4 years and have never had a chance to commit it to a
>>document.  I suppose it is probably about time to do so.  I even came
>>up with a way that network applications can survive a node move as
>>well, though it requires a special protocol and a front-end device to
>>achieve this.  For the sake of the front-end device and potential
>>single points of failures, we have phase-1 of the clustering
>>software, but ultimately, phase-2 should completely replace phase-1
>>for everything else.
>>

>  I assume this will be targeted at the current -current track (5.x
>release) to take advantage of the major rewrite of kernel scheduling
>there?

Yes, absolutely.

>This sounds like a great project.  I'm in agreement with both your
>goals and the stages you're talking about to reach it.  I've had
>daydreams of trying to hammer together something similar, but don't
>have the experience with clustering that you've brought to the project.
>Addressing basic application failover in a structured way as you've
>done does seem like the best place to start, and then go for the big
>issues of moving processes, interacting with other kernels, etc.  I
>agree that it wouldn't make much sense sinking too much effort into
>load-balancing the *front* end (network connections) in software at
>this stage, when there are hardware products out there that will do it
>at a reasonable price.

Well our device starts about 15K (but you get 32 10/100's ports  and 4
Gb ports
full line speed switching--and High availability--gee I wonder where
this comes from ;-))

>  If you don't mind, maybe this sketch of the project you just gave
>could be committed to the documentation as a starting point.

Yep.  I will write a paper about phase-2.  It should be easy if I grab
all of
the fragments of things I said before.

>  On the storage front, do you think it would be worthwhile to also
>address in an upcoming phase the failover of shared storage access,
>using something like the "Tertiary Disk project" node design at:
>  <http://now.cs.berkeley.edu/Td/arch.html>;

I had an idea to extend Vinum in a way to provide "Remote Raw Disks",
which might be similar to Tertiary Disk Project.  Have you interest in
taking this a working point?

Andy