Date:      Wed, 9 Jul 2008 23:30:02 -0400
From:      Sahil Tandon <sahil@tandon.net>
To:        Andrew Falanga <af300wsm@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: User properties and how to make files with a specific group owner

Andrew Falanga <af300wsm@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've not had to set this up and so far my efforts have proven less than
> successful.  I'm working on a web project with my father and one other
> developer.  I need to have it so that our user id's, when creating files in
> the directory we share the source code in, create the files with the group
> id common to the three of us.  How do I do this?

[...]

New files are created with GID set to that of the directory in which they're
contained.  In your case, is that directory owned by user and group 'andy'?
If so:

% chown -R :www /path/to/shared/directory

... and every file created therein will have the default GID.

--
Sahil Tandon <sahil@tandon.net>