Date:      Sat, 4 Oct 2003 12:00:27 +0200
From:      Tilman Linneweh <tilman@arved.de>
To:        Motoyuki Konno <motoyuki@bsdclub.org>
Cc:        www@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: request for removal of mailto:

--wRRV7LY7NUeQGEoC

* Motoyuki Konno [Sa, 04 Okt 2003 at 03:15 GMT]:
> "Simon L. Nielsen" <simon@freebsd.org> wrote:
>> As far as I know there is no simple way to do this at the moment.  That
>> said, I also think in general that "the damage is done" since the email
>> address is out there in many email achieves on the web.
>>=20
>> I don't think it makes much difference for the spammer harverster
>> programs, if there is a mailto: or not when the email address is there
>> (of coure I don't know for sure, but I doubt it).
>>=20
>> In the long run I think you would be much better of installing a spam
>> filter (like SpamAssasin).  I catches more than 99% of the spam I get.
>>=20
>> Sorry that I can't give you a better answer.
>=20
> There are many people who can not endure receiving many spams
> (ex. dialup ppp, slow connection, ...).  If we do nothing on
> this problem,  some people may think that "If I submit PR,
> I will receive many many spam.  So I will not submit PR."
> It's not good.
>=20
> I propose to do followings:
>=20
>     o  delete "mailto:" tag
>     o  use "username at foo.org" instead of "username@foo.org"
>=20
> Any comments?

I feeded the email address of Tadashi Yanagihara into Google and got 2 hits:
	1. Freshports	not an official FreeBSD.org site, but Dan could=20
	probably implement some mailaddress crippling if he wants.
	2. His universities homepage publishes his Emailaddress without mailto

Feeding it into Google Groups I got 4 hits:
	1. Newsgroups mirroring cvs-all and cvs-ports.=20
	To pipe followup discussions to the PR orginator would require
	generic emailadresses like PR-no@gnats.freebsd.org. Bugzilla has
	this feature. But i am not sure if GNATS supports this feature.
	=09
	2.  Newsgroups mirroring freebsd-bugs and freebsd-ports.
	One possible Implementation would be to replace all reporters addresses
	with freebsd-gnats-submit@ but this isn't 100% safe as the email
	addresses could be in CC too:=20

I would like to point out, that send-pr already contains a warning:

SEND-PR: BE ADVISED THAT FREEBSD PROBLEM REPORTS ARE PUBLIC INFORMATION AND
SEND-PR: WILL BE PUBLISHED AS-IS ON THE PROJECT'S MAILING LISTS AND WEB SIT=
ES.
SEND-PR: DO NOT SUBMIT ANY INFORMATION YOU DO NOT WANT MADE PUBLIC.

Perhaps we can add to this warning, that PUBLIC INFORMATION includes the Fr=
om:=20
Emailaddress.

regards
tilman