Date:      Sun, 20 Oct 1996 15:13:43 CDT
From:      Kent Vander Velden <graphix@iastate.edu>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: translucent filesystem (was union mounts)

>   After searching the mail list archives I have a bad feeling that that
> translucent filesystems do not work but hoped that perhaps they where
> fixed in current.

  I have a bad feeling that I spoke too soon...

  After recompiling the world and a kernel from completely new source
code, the translucent filesystem appears to be working.  Please note
that I ma using staticly linked version of union and null now however.
Before I was using the lkm versions of each.  It is possible they where
out of sync with the kernel I had installed I suppose.

  Should all the directories from the filesystem below be created in the
above filesystem?

  The libc replacement code in /usr/src/sys/miscfs/union/ does not
compile.  Perhaps my not having a union minded libc is causing
the duplication of directories (the above question) and it is certainly
causing the names to appear twice.  NetBSD and OpenBSD seemed to have
merged these replacements into libc.  Could we do the same?

  Thanks.

---
Kent Vander Velden
graphix@iastate.edu