Date:      Sun, 05 Aug 2001 16:52:33 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Michelle Brownsworth <michelle@primelogic.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org, "Scott D. Yelich" <scott@scottyelich.com>
Subject:   Re: ThinkPad X20 keyboard mapping problems

> Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2001 16:35:15 -0700
> From: Michelle Brownsworth <michelle@primelogic.com>
>
> Makes sense.  In that case, I guess I'm still confused about why you
> wouldn't simply type a CTRL-O from the command line instead of
> executing the script.

Because most control characters are NOT echoed when typed. Many have
special meaning to the shell (e.g. CTRL-C, CTRL-Z, CTRL-J,
CTRL...). So the shell typically does not echo them as typed. That's
why you need a program that does so. You could really type in the
command directly, but the possibility of a typo when you can't read the
echo make that impractical for all but the best typists.

(The Perl script can easily be compacted into single line, but I see
no reason to make it less easily understood.)

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)