Date:      Sat, 13 Jul 1996 01:51:20 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@io.org>
To:        Nathan Lawson <nlawson@kdat.csc.calpoly.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sudo

On Tue, 9 Jul 1996, Nathan Lawson wrote:

> Second, something you said bothers me.  They want to do root stuff
> even though you are paid to do that.

    They want the ability because some things that only a short time
to do (adding a new user, or restarting a Web server) end up taking a
day or more because I can't get around to it right away.  I suppose
for many tasks, a small, inflexible setuid binary will do the trick,
or adding group write permissions to config files and the like.

> Are you and they willing to accept the fact that it might take you
> extra time and/or money to clean up after them?

    It'll be my time, but the customer's money.  ;-)  Anything they
screw up that requires extra work on our part (not included in the
contract or by prior agreement) is charged at some exorbitant rate.
I'm just weighing some alternatives to expedite the day-to-day tasks
performed by the superuser.
--
Brian Tao (BT300, taob@io.org, taob@ican.net)
Senior Systems and Network Administrator, Internet Canada Corp.