Date:      Wed, 3 Feb 2010 12:37:36 -0800
From:      Charlie Kester <corky1951@comcast.net>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recommendation

On Wed 03 Feb 2010 at 11:29:14 PST Chuck Robey wrote:

>I asked for all opinions, but I need to answer here before my thread gets
>hijacked.  I DON'T WANT GUI-less operation, I don't want random playback.  I
>really do appreciate your response, but what I'm after is the best possible mp3
>player GUI for managing the creation and manipulation of playlist driven playback.
>
>The only possible reason I have for replying  here is to avoid getting all
>thouse responses from folks who don't like GUIs.  Hell, I'm usually in that
>camp, but not this time.  The suggestion I got for musicpd is a player with lots
>of hooks into GUIs (according to the email) but my playback already works
>excellently, what I'm after is the GUI, not the server.
>
>I've had some great suggestions so far.  I think I'll go try amarok
>first, and maybe rhythmbox next.  You folks are REALLY helpful,
>thanks!!

Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack your thread!

Amarok is very popular and is a good choice, despite what someone said
about the latest version having a case of featuritis.  The older 1.4
version from ports is quite good.  A little heavier in resource usage
than rhythmbox or exaile, but it's a solid implementation with no
missing features.

It handles my favorite podcasts correctly too, so there's no need to
pair it with PenguinTV.  And it includes an equalizer, something I've
sorely missed in Rhythmbox and Exaile.

I had some m3u playlists with bad path info for some of the tracks.  Wih
amarok, I was able to drag the track from my "Collection" and drop it in
the imported playlist.  The m3u file was automatically updated with the
correct info.  Now that's cool!