Date:      Tue, 1 May 2001 13:06:32 -0700
From:      Richard Johnson <raj@cisco.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Question re. tw0 device support on IBM 755c

I'm trying to get the tw0 device to work on an old Thinkpad 755c
system.  I built a kernel with the device defined.  It just can't seem
to find the parallel port.  I know it's at irq 7 and booting the
GENERIC kernel with "-v" reports the location of ppc0 at 0x3bc instead
of the usual 0x378 but it doesn't look as if it's probing correctly;
boot output below.

I know my cable and X10 controller box work correctly because I've
used it with FreeBSD on a different laptop.

Is there something special about the parallel port on the Thinkpad
755c?  Is there some place I can find hardware information like this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

ppc0: using extended I/O port range
PC873xx probe at 0x26e got unknown ID 0x4b
ppc0: SPP
ppc0: <Parallel port> at port 0x278-0x27f irq 7 drq 0 on isa0
ppc0: Generic chipset (NIBBLE-only) in COMPATIBLE mode
ppbus0: IEEE1284 device found /PS2/EPP/NIBBLE_ID/PS2_ID/Extensibility Link
Probing for PnP devices on ppbus0:
ppbus0: <unknown unknown>
isa_compat: didn't get ports for tw
isa_compat: didn't get drq for tw
tw0 failed to probe at port 0x278 irq 7 drq 0 on isa0

Has anyone seen this before?  Maybe the tw driver doesn't work with
4.3?

/raj