Date:      Tue, 28 Jul 1998 23:59:45 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        "advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG" <advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: http://www.opensource.org/

Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Tuesday, 28 July 1998 at  9:42:24 -0400, ADRIAN Filipi-Martin wrote:
> > On Tue, 28 Jul 1998, Greg Lehey wrote:
> >
> >> Since writing that, I've discovered (thanks to somebody on this list)
> >> http://opensource.oreilly.com/news/resources.html.  This seems to
> >> contain exactly what we're trying to achieve.  What else do we want
> >> Eric to do than to add a link to this page?  I suppose it would be
> >> nice if O'Reilly would modify this page to unite all the operating
> >> systems under one header, but those are details.
> >
> >       Personally, Im hoping for better accuracy, even in minimal
> > summaries.  I am sending some corrections for several sections where
> > either critical information was omitted, or the information presented is
> > just plain wrong.  .e.g. RMS didn't write his non-unix OS in '84.  May
> > have started, but it sure isn't complete yet....
>
> Hmm.  I had expected more reaction to my suggestions.  Even what you
> say here doesn't appear to relate directly to FreeBSD.  What does the
> (currently very) silent majority think?

I went back and looked more closely this time.  I'm a little disappointed
at the coverage of "BSD", but am certain they'd accept more info.  For
instance, the characterization of NetBSD and OpenBSD as being for "PC
compatible" computers is quite unfair; they both run on a wide variety
of platforms.  It seems their coverage of BSD is somewhat slanted
towards FreeBSD.

So, what can we say in a one-paragraph capsule review of FreeBSD?  I'll
kick the discussion off with a quick stab at a capsule description:

The internet's most stable, reliable operating system, derived from the
legendary Berkeley Software Distribution.  FreeBSD emphasizes robust
performance on industry standard "PC" class hardware, and a large
collection of free and commercial applications, with the ability to
execute binary programs created for FreeBSD, Linux, and SCO UNIX.

I know I'm missing the excellent performance of FreeBSD as a workstation,
and the growing support for multimedia.  Help me out here.