Date:      Fri, 05 Jun 1998 14:20:29 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        dyson@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        eivind@yes.no (Eivind Eklund), current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Odd VM behaviour

"John S. Dyson" wrote:
> Eivind Eklund said:
> >
> > When I kill -9 a frozen netscape (which has a lot of paged out pages),
> > my machine freeze in mad swapping for several seconds.  Is this
> > anticipated behavour?
> >
> I have seen that on Netscape 3.0.  It seems that recent -current is
> better than older versions of -current and 2.2.

I've seen it too.  What I find odd is that there is so much intense paging
supposedly just to free the address space.  I'm curious why it pages in
anything (much) just to free it all up. :-)  A kill -9 doesn't cause any
execution, so it shouldn't be the result of signal handlers firing up and
paging data in etc.

Of course, if the paging is a result of trying to free up space for
temporary VM tables etc, then maybe that's different - but it still seems
awfully big.

Cheers,
-Peter
--