Date:      Thu, 5 Jun 1997 10:23:45 +0800 (HKT)
From:      John Beukema <john@packfish.gateway.net.hk>
To:        sweeting@neuronet.com.my
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: help pls : how to optimise mail server response

On Thu, 5 Jun 1997 sweeting@neuronet.com.my wrote:

> I apologise for asking this question again but had
> little response last time and now it has become a
> serious problem since a client is complaining
> as a result of the following :
>
> The problem is that they are having a lot of difficulty
> collecting mail from the mailhub I set up for them
> on a P166 FreeBSD box with 64 MB RAM.
> We are a webcompany with 2 MB line to the same
> ISP that our customer is dialling into. (We are not the ISP)
>
> Een over a LAN, when I ping the FreeBSD box, the very
> first request _always_ times out.
> (Almost as if the machine is waking up)
>
> So, the only causes of trouble I can think of are :
>
> 1) network card. (it's a 3Com).
>    which do you all recommend ?
I doubt it.

> 2) DNS -  is handled by a DEC Alpha 500 (runnign DU) which is
>    possibly in need of RAM (it's handling mail, and 4 webservers, X term,
>    and DNS for 50 domains.... somebody once told me that each domain
>    should have 1 MB RAM.)

Could be DNS. try pinging with an IP address not a name.
Put the IP number and domain name in /etc/hosts and put host
ahead of bind in /etc/host.conf

Otherwise, it could be a routing problem.  The route should be static,
silent (or something), permanent and not depend on routed or gated which
might expire and then take time to re-establish.  To tell, check the
route before and after pinging.
jbeukema