Date:      Wed, 19 Jan 2000 15:43:38 -0700
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        Coleman Kane <cokane@one.net>
Cc:        Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>, zgabor@CoDe.hu, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IDE CD-writer

On Wed, Jan 19, 2000 at 08:32:13 -0500, Coleman Kane wrote:
> That is a deficiency in cdrecord as I understand, anyway. It was originally
> written for SCSI, and built around that fact.

It's not a deficiency in cdrecord, but rather because our ATA/ATAPI
subsystem doesn't run under the SCSI subsystem, and it doesn't have any
sort of passthrough mechanism.  So there's no way to send commands directly
to ATAPI CD drives.

If the ATA code were implemented as a part of CAM, or if it had its own
passthrough mechanism, you could probably use cdrecord.

> Soren Schmidt had the audacity to say:
> > It seems Zahemszky Gabor wrote:
> > > Great.  I can play audio CD-s with it with cdcontrol.  I can mount CD-ROM-s.
> > > But I tried to write on it with cdrecord (from port), and it failed (some SCSI
> > > command failed.)  So how can I write on it?  Btw, on Linux, there is an
> > > ide-scsi driver, which emulates scsi on ide hardware, and with it, and the
> > > same cdrecord, I made a cd - so the hardware is good.  Are there any port of
> > > that emulation on FreeBSD, or some trick?
> >
> > No need to use cdrecord, FreeBSD 3.x contains what you need to burn CD's
> >
> > Look in /usr/share/examples/atapi and man wormcontrol
> >
> > -Søren

> > with "unsubscribe freebsd-multimedia" in the body of the message

> with "unsubscribe freebsd-multimedia" in the body of the message

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@kdm.org