Date:      Wed, 17 Aug 2005 12:48:01 +0200
From:      Dick Hoogendijk <dick@nagual.st>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: who's right? sysinstall or the bios

On 17 Aug Björn König wrote:
> dick wrote:
>
> >So here's my dilemma:
> >
> >fbsd values: 30401/255/16 gives 238472MB (almost ok)
> >bios values: 65535/255/16 gives 514072MB (totally wrong)
> >
> >What to do?
> >Can the bios be so wrong?
> >What must I do?
> >The drive will also hold a copy of Win98se and WinXP/pro and I don't want
> >any faults to happen by chosing the wrong values.
>
> Is the BIOS aware of handling large drives? (>128 GB)

It's a brand new computer, so I'm pretty sure it does ;-)

> I usually set the value to "auto" in the BIOS and I never had any
> problems.

I have that too, but freebsd's sysinstall warns me and chooses another
more logical value. Could it be that the bios "works" with LBA while
freebsd uses CHS ?

--
dick -- http://nagual.st/ -- PGP/GnuPG key: F86289CE
++ Running FreeBSD 4.11-stable ++ FreeBSD 5.4