Date:      Tue, 1 Nov 2005 10:39:31 +0100
From:      "Simon L. Nielsen" <simon@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: IPv6 for www.freebsd.org

--pf9I7BMVVzbSWLtt

On 2005.10.31 13:29:44 -0800, Doug Barton wrote:
> As I mentioned in my previous post, I have been using earthlink's IPv6
> experiment to get an IPv6 connection at home. I am therefore trying to use
> it as much as possible to see what works, and what breaks. FreeBSD makes =
it
> fairly easy to do that, but it's fairly hard to get to the web site over =
v6.
>  Admittedly there is a list of v6-capable mirrors on the front page, and
> they work fairly well. However, I think it would be nice to pick one or t=
wo
> of those sites and add the AAAA record to www.freebsd.org.
>=20
> I have been simulating this in my hosts file using the first US mirror si=
te,
> and haven't run into any problems yet. I think it would be a step in the
> right direction for us to support v6 for our site "out of the box."

The mirrors are not exact mirrors of www.freebsd.org, so this is not
possible.

If you have pointed www.FreeBSD.org at a mirror that would explain the
problems you noted elsewhere about www.freebsd.org returning the
script code instead of executing the scripts.  We do not expect the
FreeBSD web mirrors to run the CGI scripts (though a few does).

While IPv6 for www.FreeBSD.org would probably be nice, it does require
that the real www.FreeBSD.org get IPv6 connectivity.

--=20
Simon L. Nielsen