Date:      Fri, 12 Jan 2001 10:28:17 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Setting default hostname to localhost

In message
<Pine.NEB.3.96L.1010110211942.86697B-100000@fledge.watson.org> Robert
Watson writes:
: Unless there are some really good reasons
: not to (which there may be), I'd like to commit changes to -CURRENT's
: /etc/default/rc.conf to change the default hostname to "localhost".

We have localhost.com as one of our domains here in the Village.  So
long as this change doesn't generate traffic to us in any way, shape,
or form, I'd say go for it.  Sniff your network for traffic to/from
204.144.255.150 to see if it does or not.

There have been bugs in the past that would cause this to be the
case.  There have also been bugs in the past where machines (not
necessarily FreeBSD machines) whose hostname was foo.com (for all
values of foo) would try to use localhost.com as the loopback
address.

Warner