Date:      Thu, 14 Feb 2002 09:00:10 -0500
From:      "Normand Leclerc" <leclercn@videotron.ca>
To:        <freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Serial console drops dead

  Okay, so it basically means that nobody has seen this problem right?

> But he wrote about a problem after some days operating.
> He did not wrote about a problem with booting.

  My terminal is either on or off when booting...  I get the console
even if I turn the terminal on and off for a few days.  The kernel is
compiled without any DDB directives as I don't qualify as a kernel"able"
coder (or hacker as you please).  BREAK_TO_DEBUGGER is not in my config.

> He has a computer doing that - I can't see a reason to use a
> computer for console serving and then turn it off.
> But that is a different issue.

  That reason is very simple:  I'm using my personal PC as the console.
I am in a home environment where my Alpha is a file server that does
backups of my daily work.  The server is in a small room where I don't
have space for a monitor and I don't have space anywhere else for a
terminal either.  As this computer is usually quite stable, I don't
really care about having a permanent console but when problems occur, I
need it.

  I just thought of something, are the timer interrupts used for
anything in FreeBSD (poling for example).  I am more familiar with x86
PCs than Alphas so I really don't know if this can affect any other part
of the system...  SRM is telling me that there is no timer interrupt on
CPU 0.  Systems works fine tough.

Normand Leclerc
leclercn@videotron.ca