Date:      Thu, 26 Dec 1996 20:18:53 -0800 (PST)
From:      John-Mark Gurney <jmg@nike.efn.org>
To:        Jacob Suter <jsuter@intrastar.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG, Allen Hyer <allenh@wtrt.net>
Subject:   Re: Multi port serial cards

On Thu, 26 Dec 1996, Jacob Suter wrote:

[...]

> something breaks on a unix box you have problems (say sendmail goes nuts
> and eats the machine...  sendmail, pppd, and anything else running is dead

what??  running sendmail on a termserver??

> to the world).  When you throw together the total cost of a machine to do
> this job (AMD 5x86/133, 24 megs ram, 540 MB hard drive, Cyclades 32-Yep,
> case, video card, network card, etc) to handle 30 ports, it just doesn't

and just what do you need a video card and a hard drive for??  (ok I can
understand a 40meg ide... but a 540???) right now I'm running a termserver
that is netbooted and the whole system takes up a whole 7megs...  which I
plan on reducing soon by recompiling the binaries as one and static...

[...]

> But, If I was just now getting into the business, I wouldn't fool with the
> analog modems anymore, get a PM-3, either lease or buy...  They're cheap,
> they support both ISDN and analog (if you use a PRI), and quite often the
> line charges are cheaper..

hmm...  sounds good... I'll have to check that out...    ttyl...

John-Mark

gurney_j@efn.org
http://resnet.uoregon.edu/~gurney_j/
Modem/FAX: (541) 683-6954   (FreeBSD Box)

Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD (unix)