Date:      Sun, 21 Apr 2019 22:31:09 -0400
From:      <kris@ixsystems.com>
To:        "'Pete French'" <petefrench@ingresso.co.uk>, <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: CFT for FreeBSD + ZoL

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-freebsd-stable@freebsd.org <owner-freebsd-stable@freebsd.org> On
Behalf Of Pete French
Sent: Saturday, April 20, 2019 8:00 AM
To: freebsd-stable@freebsd.org

On 19/04/2019 12:46, kris@ixsystems.com wrote:
> FreeBSD Developers,
>

> We're pleased to make available images allowing testing of FreeBSD
> using ZFS on Linux.  During this development cycle, the ZoL code has
> been made portable, and available in the ports tree as sysutils/zol
> and sysutils/zol-kmod, for userland/kernel bits respectively. While
> some have used these for testing, we felt it necessary to generate
> some installation images which are an easier method of getting up and
> started using ZoL. These images are built against FreeBSD 12-stable
> and 13-HEAD and will install a world / kernel with the base system ZFS
> disabled and the sysutils/zol ports pre-installed.

Ah, this is excellent, thankyou for all the work on this. A question though
- is the intnet to keep these as ports, or will the ZoL code be merged back
into the base, replacing the existing ZFS implementation?

cheers,

-pete. [who will give this a test next week if he can]

I think we'll plan on replacing the base version when its ready. However the
port is super useful for testing new ZoL versions / fixes, so we'll probably
want to keep both around for the time being.

--
Kris Moore
Vice President of Engineering