Date:      Sat, 22 Aug 1998 23:15:56 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        "B. Richardson" <rabtter@aye.net>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I want to break binary compatibility.

In message <199808220240.VAA16809@nospam.hiwaay.net> David Kelly writes:
: > I have a problem with some hackers that are obsessed with making my
: > ISP's life miserable (they've already hacked our SGI). I've slapped
: > together a FreeBSD box to throw their webpages on it, turned off all
: > services except http.
:
: While you are at it and breaking binary compatibility for security
: reasons, make sure you remove stuff a webserver doesn't need such as
: /usr/include, compilers, manpages, etc. Maybe PicoBSD would be the
: place to start?

You are better off NOT breaking binary compatibility to get what you
want.  You would be better served by porting StackGuard to FreeBSD,
which would give you excellent protection against most stack
overflows.

Warner