Date:      Wed, 2 Sep 1998 09:52:51 -0600
From:      allen campbell <allenc@verinet.com>
To:        grog@lemis.com
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   mail's fate (was Re: E-day problems: rtld-elf dlsym() broken?)

> >> It seems to me that we should agree on some base set of functionality
> >> that a reasonable mailer should support.  Most reasonable mailers
> >> support MIME nowadays, but the level of support varies considerably
> >> (that's one of the reasons I moved from elm; when I tried pine, I
> >> didn't have any trouble with MIME, but I just didn't like some of the
> >> things it did).  I'll toss in a couple of features for discussion:
> >>
> > (collection of "NO"s omitted).
>
> Why not?  Do you enjoy not being able to read messages you receive?
> I'm not saying you should, for example, *send* HTML messages (see
> http://www.lemis.com/email.html for my view on that), but I still
> think it makes sense to be able to handle them when you receive them,
> and I would expect that a modern mailer should be able to handle *all*
> of them.

HTML reads fine in Mozilla, mutt and many other mailers.  The base
mailer has no business with HTML.  Its job is to be there by default,
small, fast, standard and operate with as little overhead and
nonsense as possible.  Expecting the base mailer to be a full
featured, contemporary program is Microsoft think.  You want a
'better' mailer?  Obtain and install one; there are dozens to chose
from.  You want to run a reliable, efficient server?  Take comfort
in knowing that the base system hasn't been run through with HTML,
Base-64, MIME, Real Audio, Active X, RTF, Postscript, 0.5 GB of
fonts, Web-TV, COM, Cobra, Java, etc, etc...

--
  Allen Campbell        | Legacy systems, a.k.a systems that work.
  allenc@verinet.com    |