Date:      Tue, 9 Apr 1996 01:37:57 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        dhawk@netcom.com
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Example of How to Use Ports?

 * I've been wanting to install tinyfugue on my system, but haven't
 * been able to figure out the ports setup. My machine has a T1
 * connection (which is how I get to it) but the cd-rom drive died,
 * so I've been unable to see if what I need is on the cd-rom.
 *
 * I've read through the web page stuff about ports, but it didn't quite
 * jell for me. What would be very helpful is a walk-through, like
 * a 1-2-3 list of
 * 1. mkdir /usr/ports
 * 2. put something in a file
 * etc.
 *
 * Anything like that available?

If you have a T1 and not a CDROM, just go grab the whole ports tree
today from the ftp site, and you will be quite happy for quite some
time. :)

% ncftp ftp.freebsd.org                 # or the nearest mirror site
ncftp>cd /pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-current   # (1)
ncftp>get ports.tar.gz
ncftp>^D
% tar -C /usr -xzf ports.tar.gz         # (2)
% cd /usr/ports/<whatever>
% make install clean

(1) You may want to stick to the 2.1R ports tree if you don't have
    FreeBSD-current.  That tree is 5 months old so you won't get all
    the newest greatest ports though (like tinyfugue).

(2) Create a symlink /usr/ports -> <wherever> prior to this if your
    /usr is not big enough.

Satoshi