Date:      Thu, 16 May 2013 03:25:33 -0400
From:      Zaphod Beeblebrox <zbeeble@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Linux and Steam and libc.so.6

As far as I can tell, our current linux emulation platform is based on
Fedora "10."  As far as I can tell, this was released in November 2008
(going on 5 years ago) and was EOL as of December 2009 (my source is
wikipedia).  Wow.

Until now, I have ignored (mostly) where the linux emulation came from ---
most binaries distributed for linux are substantially pessimistic about
what linux you're running.

Enter Steam for Linux.  It seems to depend on _very_ recent linux.  If
you're using Debian, you must run "unstable" Wheezy rather than whatever
stable is called.  Worse, Steam servers ... long running on some of my
FreeBSD servers, are now converting to the new Steam linux world ... and
are now starting to not run under FreeBSD's old linux port.

Some questions...

   1. Most of the hoopla seems to be over libc.so.6 --- is there any chance
   we can have that with or without upgrading to a newer copy of fedora (or
   whatever) in ports?
   2. I notice that newer fedora releases are using 3.x linux kernels.  Are
   binaries using 3.x kernels a problem for FreeBSD's linux kernel mod?
   3. Are there some quick patches to running l4d/l4d2/tf2 and/or
   killingfloor servers on FreeBSD?

I realize, with the state of our 3D stuff, expecting Steam games to run may
be too much --- but the servers have always been and should always be easy
to support.