Date:      Mon, 10 Mar 2003 15:29:06 -0000
From:      "Suneel Jhangiani" <suneel@inctech.com>
To:        <current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Headless Server

Hi,

I have a 2U Rackmount system that I have inherited. This box has a
standard Intel RC440BX Desktop Motherboard in it. The actual chassis
covers the whole board so that none off the expansion slots or on board
connectors are visible. There is a network connector on the back off the
chassis that has been rigged internally to a network.

The front panel has three LED's (Power, HDD, and Network) and two
buttons (Power and Function). On investigating the Function button is
connected to two pins on the Serial Com 2 connector.

I was wondering if there is anything in FreeBSD Current or older that
will allow me to use this function button to shutdown the system as the
power button results in instant off. I'd also like to know what others
might use this for bearing in mind that the only connector exposed is
the network connector and hence if the system loses its network
connection then the only way to diagnose issues is to open the case.

Regards,

Suneel.

*****
A disclaimer applies to all email sent from Inter-Computer Technology =
Limited.
For the full text, see =
http://home.inctech.com/Content/Legal/EmailDisclaimer.htm