Date:      Mon, 10 Dec 2001 10:02:38 -0600
From:      "Dustin Puryear" <dpuryear@usa.net>
To:        "Colin Campbell" <sgcccdc@citec.qld.gov.au>
Cc:        <gabriel_ambuehl@buz.ch>, <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Re[4]: Using DNAT and DNS round-robin

> and 2 web hosts and you are on net 192.168.1.0

Keep in mind that this will be Internet accessible so we have public IP
addresses.

> Host 1 should be configured with 4 IP addresses: 192.168.1.1-4
> Host 2 would be configured with 4 IP addresses: 192.168.1.5-8

I see where you went with this, but I may be missing something. Does this
mean that if we add an additional host then we would need to add four more
addresses? If so that wouldn't work since we would require additional public
IP addresses.

[snip]
> DNS round-robin will help "spread the load". Note that most browsers
> ignore any TTL settings and tend to "permanently" cache a successful name
> lookup.

Well, this is another reason I was looking at Squid. That way our clients
all hit the Squid server which then takes on the task of delegating client
request to one of n webservers using DNS round-robin. Unfortunately, I
haven't made much progress with Squid, but I am hoping that if the
documentation isn't too misleading that it could solve the problem.

Regards, Dustin