Date:      Sat, 13 Apr 1996 22:04:14 -0400
From:      dennis@etinc.com (dennis)
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unices are created equal, but ...

>> Even if this benchmark is a little questionnable, I invite people who say or
>> write that Unix B is FASTER than Unix A to stop, or to say or write
>> the OPPOSITE.
>>
>I suggest that you benchmark recent versions of both (say FreeBSD-current
>vs. Linux-current).  FreeBSD fork/exec perf has gone up significantly,
>among other things.  Please compare equivalent vintages.

Nay, compare 1.2.13 with 2.1R. -current and 1.3.x are not products by
any stretch....as they're not usable by anyone but hackers. What would
you have said if Gates compared his beta kernels to anything? Its
meaningless.

dennis
Emerging Technologies, Inc.      http://www.etinc.com

Synchronous Communications Cards and Routers For
Discriminating Tastes. 56k to T1 and beyond. Frame
Relay, PPP, HDLC, and X.25 for BSD/OS, FreeBSD
and LINUX