Date:      Sat, 13 Apr 1996 20:52:50 -0500 (CDT)
From:      peter@nmti.com (Peter da Silva)
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Pentium fast copy?

The following quote from a paper (sorry, I don't know what the paper is
offhand) appeared on the Firewalls mailing list. What's FreeBSD like on
this front?

    Our results show that none of the systems adequately delivers the
    Pentium's memory write performance.  For example, the Pentium can
    copy data at over 160 megabytes/second using a prefetching copy
    routine, yet none of the systems we tested have implemented such a
    routine.  As described below, the prefetching routines address the
    fact that the Pentium does not have a write-allocate cache.
    Without this optimization, the same routines copy data at about 40
    megabytes/second.