Date:      Thu, 10 Sep 1998 09:54:52 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vinum (was Re: Software RAID)

On Thursday, 10 September 1998 at  0:16:29 +0000, Mike Tancsa wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Sep 1998 18:27:49 +0930, in sentex.lists.freebsd.questions
> you wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday,  8 September 1998 at  1:37:49 +0000, Mike Tancsa wrote:

>>> Partially... Have a look at
>>>
>>> man -k ccd
>>
>> Vinum will replace ccd.
>
> Would you say its ready for prime time in for example a new server
> environment ?

Good question.  The current state is still "alpha", and there's a lot
of stuff that still needs to be written, and other parts haven't been
tested to my satisfaction: for example, I'm not convinced that
recovering defective volumes on line works correctly in all cases.
It compares favourably to ccd, though: in ccd, if a you have a drive
failure, you have to modify your ccd config and reboot before you can
access a mirrored pair again.  Vinum handles this transparently.

As far as reliability goes, a number of people have been using it
heavily for a month now, and I haven't had any problem reports in that
time (I *have* had reports of "works fine, no problems").

> Also, on my news server I have a few drives that are of different
> make and model.  Last time I looked at ccd it was not reccomended to
> try and stripe drives of different sizes and performance specs.

Hmm.  I can't think why not.

> Can I use vnum to make 1 virtual news spool drive?

Yes.

> Also, how well does vinum cope with disk errors.  I have one fuji
> thats somewhat prone to them...

It's an area I want to improve on.  It handles write errors fine, but
there's a possibility it will return a transient error on a read
(i.e. the read will fail, but a retry from the application will
succeed).  The correct action, of course, is that the read will not
fail if a retry would succeed.  ccd is also prone to this problem,
which is related to the fact that both ccd and Vinum read from only
one disk, and they can't do retries at the point where they discover
the error (in the bottom half of the driver).  It's possible to fix
this problem, but due to the kernel structure it's relatively complex.
I'd expect it to be in by the end of the year, though.

Greg