Date:      Thu, 27 Jan 2000 22:06:02 +0100
From:      Gert Doering <gert@greenie.muc.de>
To:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>, Gert Doering <gert@greenie.muc.de>
Cc:        mgetty@greenie.muc.de, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: locking problem FreeBSD 3.4 - kermit and mgetty

Hi,

On Thu, Jan 27, 2000 at 07:03:38PM +0100, Christoph Kukulies wrote:
> > > But as a result mgetty gets into kermit's ways such that when a
> > > modem connection is made I suddenly get a modem prompt like
> > > +FCON as if someone (mgetty) is either messing with my local
> > > or the remote modem while kermit opens the connection.
> >
> > The modem is in fax mode, and has established a fax connection.  Have
> > kermit send an AT+FCLASS=0 first.
>
> OK, this may be a repair but I'm wondering why that worked before
> and now I have to take special measures. Or is it perhaps
> kermit's fault?

Older mgetty versions had all class 2 modems in "class 0 mode" while
waiting for incoming calls, which worked very well for some Rockwell
modems, and not so well for others.  With class 2.0 modems, the modem
always *had* to be in fax mode.

Recently, I changed the settings so that some class 2 modems are also run
in "class 2 mode", so maybe that triggered the problem at your end.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
Gert Doering - Munich, Germany                             gert@greenie.muc.de
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert.doering@physik.tu-muenchen.de